Department of Intellectual Property, Trademarks and Patents report | Federal Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeit Trademarks and Designations.
Dear Sir or Madam,
On December 4, the Official Gazette published the Joint Resolution 9/2019 (the “Resolution”) enacted by the Ministry of Security, the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights and the National Institute of Industrial Property (“INPI”), through which the Federal Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeit Trademarks and Designations (the “Committee”) was created.
The purpose for the creation of the Committee is the cooperation between each of the three state organisms in order to develop strategies to eradicate crimes associated with smuggling and counterfeiting of trademarks.
It should be noted that the fight against smuggling, counterfeiting and fraudulent imitation of trademarks falls within the competences, functions and objectives of the Ministry of Security, the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights and the INPI.
The Committee will have the following powers:
• Establish procedures and mechanisms for the prevention and fight against smuggling and counterfeiting of trademarks.
• Promote public awareness campaigns to prevent the consumption of counterfeit products.
• Promote education programs on the value of licit commerce.
• Propose training programs for state agents.
• Propose the issuance of the necessary regulations for the fulfilment of the objectives.
• Articulate the participation of the organizations that are part of the Committee.
• Design a strategic plan in order to carry out its functions.
Said Committee shall consist of a full member and a substitute member of each of the following organizations: Ministry of Security, Ministry of Justice and Human Rights, INPI, National Gendarmerie, Argentine Naval Prefecture, Airport Security Police and Argentine Federal Police. In addition, the National Tax Authority (AFIP) was formally invited to adhere to the Resolution and appoint its representatives for the Committee.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us should you require any additional information on this matter.
Emilio Beccar Varela